RULES & REGULATIONS
Students enrolled at Community College must recognize their responsibilities towards the
faculty, office staff and fellow students. Failure to maintain appropriate standards of
conduct will attract disciplinary action.
The College believes that duty, decorum and discipline are the hallmarks of a good student. Students with such qualities alone can prove to be productive manpower with an appreciable value system. Therefore erring students would be subjected to certain disciplinary code. The following acts, would be deemed to be acts of indiscipline - any overt or covert act leading to ragging and eve teasing, disruption of class room activities or disturbing the studies of other students or marring the operations of the college or its educational activities or harming the health or safety of staff or students or damaging the college property or possession of any intoxicants or illicit drugs or weapons in the college campus, misconduct during examination, production of false information or documents for admission purpose and the failure to return loaned materials or settle debts with the college.
Prohibition of Ragging
Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited. If any incident of ragging comes to the notice of the authority, the concerned student shall be given liberty to explain and if his explanation is not found satisfactory, the authority would expel him from the institution. The College will not show any mercy to a misbehaving student and would initiate disciplinary action whenever occasion demands. At the time of admission, every student and his/her parent/guardian shall be required to sign a declaration to the effect that he/she submits himself/herself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Principal and the other authorities of the College. All powers relating to discipline among the students are vested in the Principal. The Principal may delegate all or any of his/her powers as he/she deems proper to any of the Officers of the College specified by him/her. The Principal's decision shall be the final in all matters of punishment of the students for violation of any of the rules and regulations of the college.
- Students should attend all classes regularly and punctually.
- Students must be punctual to each lecture hour. Students coming late to the class by more than five minutes will not be given attendance for that period.
- Although the University prescribes a minimum of 75% of attendance, the College insists on regular attendance in all classes. Students are eligible for scholarships only when they earn more than 90% of attendance.
- A student with less than 75% of attendance will not be eligible to write the Semester Examinations of the University.
- Students are not permitted to absent themselves without prior permission.
- An application for leave must be submitted in the prescribed form well in advance or at least a day before the leave is required.
- When absence without prior permission is unavoidable the leave application must be submitted on the day of return to the College after the leave period.
- Even with prior permission, if a student absents oneself, even for a single hour, he/she would be considered as absent for the whole session.
- Absence without leave for even a part of the day will be counted as absence for one day.
- Students without Identity Card & proper Uniform will be marked absent.
- If a student absents himself/herself for three consecutive days without leave his/her name will be removed from the rolls.
- Removal of the names from the rolls shall entail forfeiture of attendance till the date of re-admission.
- In case of any violation of rules and regulations by the student, action initiated against the student may include a warning or a reprimand, awarding a fail mark for an assignment or course, suspension or expulsion from a particular class or from the College, withholding of official documents, withdrawal of campus privileges and any other action which the College authorities deem appropriate at that time.
Specific Rules for Student Discipline
- Students are expected to use only courteous and polite language and behave with decorum with the faculty members and the staff of the College.
- Students shall avoid using any insulting, inciting, threatening language when talking with fellow students and should abstain themselves from violence.
- Students shall not talk or act in any manner outside the institution in a way that would bring disrepute to the College.
- The students shall be regular and punctual in attending classes and all activities connected with the College.
- Gathering in groups at roads, entrance, exit and pathways is strictly prohibited.
- The students shall observe strict silence in the class irrespective of the presence or absence of the faculty member.
- No student is permitted to leave the classroom during class hours.
- Students should not leave the class or attend it late under the pretext of paying fees, visiting the library etc.
- Students are expected to read notices/circulars displayed on the College Notice Board.
- Ignorance of not reading any notice/circular thus displayed shall not be accepted as an excuse failing to comply with the directions contained in it.
- All vehicles should be parked in the allotted place. Vehicles found parked in unauthorized places shall be impounded.
- While attending College functions, the students will conduct themselves in such a way as to bring credit to themselves and to the institution.
- Spitting, smoking and throwing bits of paper inside the college campus is prohibited.
- Students are forbidden from entering the college office and the staff rooms during unspecified hours.
- Students are prohibited from damaging the building or any other property of the College in any way. The cost of any damage so caused will be recovered from the students collectively if the responsibility for it cannot be fixed on any individual or group of individuals.
- Representation of complaints and grievances may be made individually to the Principal through the Class Teacher concerned or Discipline-cum-Grievance Committee.
- No meeting/function of any kind shall be held in the College premises without the written permission of the Principal.
- No notice of any kind shall be circulated among students or displayed on black boards or on notice board without the written permission of the Principal. No information or report should be sent to press or broadcasting agencies without the permission and approval of the Principal.
- The Principal will deal strictly with students who play a leading part, by organizing or assisting, in strikes.
- The students are expected to take up all assignments, tests and examinations of this College/University seriously and would try to perform the best.
- Misconduct during examination, production of false information or documents for admission purpose and the failure to return loaned materials or settling debts with the College would be seriously dealt with.
- In this campus various courses are conducted simultaneously and hence, students should observe SILENCE within the campus.
- Ragging and Eve Teasing are considered as crime and strictly prohibited by an act promulgated by the Government of Puducherry with the penalty of Rs.10,000/- and two years’ imprisonment. If any student indulges in any form of ragging or Eve- Teasing inside the College premises or outside, he/she will be summarily expelled from the College.
- Each student of this College must possess Student Identity Card with his/her photograph affixed on it, duly attested by the Principal. The students must compulsorily wear the Student Identity Card inside the College Campus.
- Students shall come clean, tidy and modestly dressed in College Uniform. Students not in College Uniform would be marked as absent for that particular day. If nonadherence to this rule is reported against a student often, severe action may be initiated against him/her.
- Use of mobile phones within the College campus is strictly banned. Violation of this rule by any student would result in impounding of the Cell phone and strict disciplinary action against the student.
- Students should not involve themselves either directly or indirectly in any form of politics either inside or outside the College during their period of study. If a student fails to comply with this regulation, strict disciplinary action will be initiated against the student which may even result in the rustication of the student from the College.
- The Library is open to all the Students, Faculty and Staff of the PUCC.
- Readers are not allowed to enter the library with their personal belongings.
- Readers are prohibited from engaging in any activity which may disturb or distract the attention of other readers and will result in severe disciplinary action.
- No reader shall write upon, damage or make marks on any library book. Each student of the Pondicherry University Community College will be issued two tickets. A book will be lent to a reader only in exchange of one of his/her tickets which will be returned back to the reader when he/she returns the book.
- Date label and book pockets shall not be tampered with. Serious notice will be taken on any violation of this rule.
- Library tickets are not transferable. A reader who misses a ticket shall follow the stipulated process including remittance of Rs.50 as a fine to get another Ticket. In case he/she happens to get the ticket at a later date, the reader should return the same immediately.
- A reader who fails to return a book on the due date will be charged a sum of 50 paisa per day as fine till he/she returns the book. Such a reader will not be allowed to use the library till the book is returned and fine paid.
- At the end of each semester before receiving the hall ticket, the student should return all the books to the library. Without a clearance certificate (NO DUE) to this effect from the Librarian, the college will not permit a student to write the End Semester Examination.
- The Provisional / Diploma and Certificate shall be issued to the students only after they return all the books and remit dues outstanding against them.
- A book may be renewed for a further period of a fortnight provided: (a) No other reader has applied for the book in the meantime and (b) not more than two consecutive renewals may be made for the same book.
- In the case of books for which there is an exceptional demand, the period of loan may be reduced to fifteen days.
- The Librarian in exigencies may recall any book at any time even if the normal period of loan has not expired and readers are not allowed to sub-lend the books of the Library.
- Dictionaries and books which might be difficult to replace and such other books declared as Reference Books shall not be loaned.
- Readers shall be responsible for any damage done to the books or other property belonging to the Library of the College. If the replacement of the books or other properties is not possible, four times the value of the book/property may be collected from the student concerned.