Pondicherry University Community College houses three Colleges under one roof.
- 1. As a Constituent College of Pondicherry University offering unconventional three year degree programmes.
- 2. As a Community College offering various B.Voc. and Advanced Diploma Vocational courses in health care, management and IT sector.
- 3. Offering employment oriented skill based courses for the local population.
The distinguishing hallmarks of Pondicherry University Community College are the following:
- The College ensures community participation in its educational activities. The members of the community participate in several ways, namely, in assessing the demand for manpower, framing of curriculum, teaching of courses etc.
- The College follows the policy for admission which helps to democratize education to every citizen at the tertiary level especially to candidates from villages and backward areas and to natives of Puducherry, subject to eligibility conditions.
- Courses are need-based and job-oriented and they are framed by the experts in the field, screened by Board of Studies and approved by the Academic Council of Pondicherry University.
- In almost all the courses offered by the PUCC, experiential learning and/or hands on experience is an essential component. This experience is provided by practical or lab work both within the College and outside the premises, with the associated institutions. Therefore, on-the-job training and industrial visits are integral component of every programme.
- There is considerable flexibility in formulation and implementation of various courses. The College can introduce any course quickly, if it finds the demand for it or drop a course for which the demand is stagnant or sagging.
- The courses are taught by both professional teachers and experienced professionals in different areas. Teachers and Resource Persons are recruited on need-basis from time to time.
- Subject to eligibility criteria, a student who is currently pursuing a course in PUCC or elsewhere can also enroll himself/ herself in PG Diploma/ Diploma / Certificate Programme in the Community College provided the timing of the course suits his/her convenience.
- The PUCC has been able to establish a rapport and collaboration with various institutions in and around Puducherry and Tamil Nadu.
- The PUCC provides counselling and guidance services to the students both at the time of admission, during the course of study and at the time of employment
- Spoken English training programme is conducted every year for the UG students.
- Student Exchange Programme with United States Community Colleges was initiated during the academic year 2011-2012. This exchange programme provides a unique opportunity to the students to tap the resources and expertise available in the USA and as a result the students have higher chances of good employment.
- Courses are conducted on self-financing basis with affordable fee structure except three UGC aided courses.
- There are courses to suit the timings of the employed people and the unemployed.
- Each programme / course has an Advisory Committee with a Coordinator.
- The PUCC works on all the 7 days in a week in order to suit the convenience of the students.